The Corporation of the Township of Gillies follows Lottery Licensing Policies as developed by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario, the Criminal Code of Canada, the Order-in-Council 2688/03 (as amended) and the Gaming Control Act, 1992 and its Regulations.
No person shall conduct a bazaar, bingo, break-open ticket or raffle lottery within the Township of Gillies until such person or organization has made application to the Lottery Licensing Officer and received a license from the municipality or the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO).
Organizations must have a demonstrated charitable or religious mandate to qualify i.e. it provides programs for:
- Relief of poverty;
- Advancement of education;
- Advancement of religion; and
- Any other charitable purposes beneficial to the community (arts, youth sports, service clubs, etc.).
The following prerequisites are mandatory to be considered eligible for a lottery license:
• Organizations must have been in existence for at least one (1) year before being considered eligible for lottery licenses.
• The organization must have a place of business in Ontario, demonstrate that it is established to provide charitable services in Ontario and use proceeds for objects or purposes which benefit Ontario residents.
• The Township of Gillies will only issue a lottery license to an organization which operates charitable facilities or programs within the municipality.
The primary purposes of an organization are determined by considering:
• The mandate of the organization as set out in its incorporation documents or documents stating the organization’s objects.
• The objects of the organization as described in its application for license.
• The services which have actually been provided by the organization to the community.
Organizations that have not conducted lottery events, and are first time applicants, must complete a Lottery Licensing Eligibility Form at least 45 days before the date of the lottery.
Types of Lottery Events
The Township of Gillies issues licenses to conduct the following lottery events:
- Bazaar Gaming Events (bingo, raffle, wheel of fortune);
- Bingo events;
- Ticket raffle lotteries for total prize of $50,000 and under (including penny auctions/raffles); and
- All break open ticket lotteries not licensed by the provincial office.
- Bazaar Gaming Event - 3% of prizes for bingo
- 3% of prizes for a raffle
- $10 per wheel of fortune per day
- Bingo - 3% of prizes
- Raffle - 3% of prizes
- Break Open Tickets - 3% of prizes
Lottery Application Forms, Terms and Conditions, Lottery Reports
Please visit the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario website for current application forms, terms and conditions and lottery report forms. The website allows you to fill the application out on line and then print it, or to print a copy and complete it manually. Hard copies of the forms are also available at the Township Office.